Our culture seems to revolve almost exclusively around eating and drinking these days. It requires no energy whatsoever – “What do you want to do?” “I don’t know, let’s go eat.” And living in a city like Houston, where the dining possibilities are endless, why not? Well, unfortunately dining out most always involves overindulging and adding inches to your waistline. But wait! There are actually plenty of other things to do in and around Houston that don’t involve eating (gasp!), and with the weather as nice as it is, it’s definitely the right time to get out and about!
Here is a list of activities you can try solo or with your spouse, family or friends:
- Reading in the park or other ambient setting
- Attending events at the Rodeo (turn a blind eye to all the concession stands!)
- Museums! Check out the Bayou Bend Gardens on a nice spring day or the Museum of Natural Science for some great exhibitions. If you haven’t taken your kids to the Children’s Museum, boy oh boy, you and your family are missing out! It’s a really great place for everyone to run around and learn a thing or two as well. Great news- most museums host free nights! Museum of Fine Arts is free Thursday evenings.
- Performing Arts- Check out www.goldstar.com to sign up for half-price tickets and other shows going on weekly in Houston.
- Sports & Concerts- go see your favorite team/band in action!
- Tours- A ghost tour doesn’t have to be saved for the month of October! http://www.houstonghosttour.com/index.html
- Take a walk in a park! If you haven’t been to Terry Hershey Park, it’s a must for those who love the outdoors and a scenic walk/run/bike ride.
- Attend an event at Miller Outdoor Theatre! It’s free and with so many events, there’s bound to be one that fits your interest.
- Take a swing at a driving range! Even if you are a far cry from Tiger Woods, it can be fun to whack some golf balls!
- Pamper yourself- book an appointment for the spa, get a manicure/pedicure, or treat yourself to a facial, all calorie-free and a great stress reducer J
- Get on the water- rent a kayak, go to the beach or lake, or paddleboat through Hermann Park.
- Find your creative side- sign-up for a painting, pottery, or jewelry-making class.
- Shop! – Try things on for fun even if you know you aren’t going to buy them. It burns calories and is a great way to treat the new slimmer you! Just be sure you get rid of the baggy clothes that no longer fit.
Www.culturemaphouston.com is another great resource to see what’s going on in and around the city. What other things can you think of to see and do in Houston that are A.T.E.s?